From the kitchen of Chef Judi.
Is there anything more comforting than snacking on cookies and milk?
Enter Cookies & Milk Jam.
This chocolate chip cookie recipe was given to me by an 11-year-old guest and it was love at first bite, the best I’ve tasted before: crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.
And of course, you can’t have the perfect choc chip cookie without a bit of milk. Or in this case, milk jam.
I have adapted my original Milk Jam recipe so that you whip it up at home quickly, without needing a temperature thermometer. But rest assured, you will get the same result and the same comforting feeling.
Choc Chip Cookies & Milk Jam
This recipe yields approximately 8 cookies (depending on how large you make them).
For the Cookies you’ll need:
1 Cup of Cake flour
1 Teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda
1 Teaspoon of Fine Salt
100g of White Chocolate (chopped roughly)
100g of Dark Chocolate (chopped roughly)
170g of Melted Butter
1 Cup of Treacle Brown Sugar (packed)
½ cup of Granulated White Sugar
2 Teaspoons of Vanilla Essence
For the Milk Jam you’ll need:
½ Tin of Condensed Milk
1 Vanilla Pod
1 Cup of Chilled Double Thick Whipping Cream
1 Teaspoon of Liquid Glucose (you can find this at a chemist, but you can also leave it out).
How to make the Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease a baking tray with butter or cooking spray (if you are using baking paper, please grease the paper too).
- In a mixing bowl combine the cake flour, fine salt and bicarbonate of soda.
- Mix into the dry ingredients the white and dark chopped chocolate and mix it around so that the chocolate is lightly coated with the flour.
- Once the butter has melted and cooled, mix in the treacle sugar, granulated sugar, egg and vanilla essence.
- Beat these together with a whisk until the colour slightly lightens.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold with a spatula. Do not over mix.
- Roll the mixture into balls, whatever size cookie you like (but keep in mind, the cookies spread a little).
- Take the round ball and tear it in the middle just to break the surface and place on the baking tray , space the cookies about 5cm apart.
- Bake the cookies for 20 minutes. The cookies will be soft when they come out and then set after a while, this gives the cookies that softness inside, and crunch on the outside. Leave it to cool on the tray.
While the cookies are baking, you can make the Milk Jam.
How to make the Milk Jam:
- Pour the chilled cream in a bowl and get a hand beater or kitchen aid ready.
- Slice open the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds.
- Pour the condensed milk and glucose into a sauce pan and put on a low heat. Don’t stop stirring, the condensed milk should not stick or burn to the bottom of sauce pan.
- Add the vanilla pod seeds to the condensed milk.
- Once the condensed milk starts bubbling take it off the heat.
- Whip the cream until its frothy. Keep the mixer going and slowly pour the condensed milk in. Keep beating it until the mixture is stiff and then move it to the fridge.
- Once your cookies have set, serve it with a good dollop of the milk jam.
- Dip your cookies into the milk jam, and enjoy!